The Good, Bad and Ugly

January 4, 2010 at 11:58 am 4 comments

10 days before the surgery:
I was asked to start a high-protein liquid diet starting on December 20th. I tried to fit at least 4 glasses of skim milk in with some broth and water throughout the day. I actually hate the taste of milk, so I would mix in sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast (adds protein, too!) or sugar free hot chocolate mix to cut the milk taste. The milk kept me surprisingly full most of the time. It was agonizing sitting at the dinner table during the holiday meals with a bowl of broth, but I got through it. By the fifth day or so, I was starting to have strange phantom smells. I would get in my car and smell bread, or smell fries at work. I think the strangest reaction, though, was when I walked into the kitchen as my dad was preparing a sandwich. That mustard smelled soooo heavenly. Words cannot even describe how good that smell was. Oh boy..

Day before the surgery:
Up until this point, I was barely nervous. I was more anxious to get the surgery done! However, my nerves caught up to me on the 29th (the day before the procedure). I was not nervous about being able to follow the strict diet, or keeping up with exercising. I was more freaked out about that .01% chance of fatality. I was able to keep my mind off of it most of the day though, since I had to pack everything up and get ready for the big event. At 1:00 PM, I had to down a 10 oz. bottle of Magnesium Citrate to empty my bowels. It was disgusting and tiring, but definitely not as bad as preparing for a colonoscopy! The Magnesium Citrate actually did not taste that bad; it was just very, very sour like biting into a lemon.

Day of the surgery (December 30th):
My procedure was scheduled for 8:00 AM, so we needed to be there at 6:00 AM for pre-op. It wasn’t too difficult to wake up that early since I didn’t sleep too heavy that night. After my parents and I arrived and checked in, I was taken up to the pre-op area. Some blood was taken to test my potassium level. I changed into the gorgeous backless gown and waited on the stiff as a board bed. One by one, practitioners dropped by, hooked me up to an IV, took my vitals, and explained the anesthesia. I then got to put on a big, blue, puffy shower cap type thing. This is when I was wheeled to the OR. It was a bit of madness before they put me under. I had to transfer to the operating table, maneuver my arms onto the side pads, and answer questions. Finally, I was under. The next thing I remember is waking up in my hospital room. My mom said that the surgeon thought it went very smoothly – almost the best one he’s done!

The hospital stay:
The two days at the hospital were quite a blur. I was on a mix of Percocet and Tylenol the majority of the time. I was walking the day of the surgery. I was able get around by myself pretty quickly. The liquid consumption was probably the most important thing for me to do, and it was the most confusing. They kept bringing new bottles and cups and were not very good at keeping track of how much I was drinking. I was not happy with the intelligence level of my nurses. They did not keep me informed, and skirted around all my questions. Also, my main nurse was very passive aggressive! I think she made a stab at how messy my bed was once… I may be a little bitter since she’s the one who pulled out my Jackson-Pratt drain. Holy cow is that a horrible feeling! I never, ever want to feel that again. I’m shuddering even thinking about it! It felt like I was having a heart attack.

At home:
Until my follow-up appointment this Friday morning, I will be on a clear liquid diet. This means I can have water, clear juices, broth, sugar free JELL-O, and sugar free popsicles. They typically want you to drink at least 3-4 oz. an hour. It has been tough, since I already feel the limits of my new pouch! I definitely feel full faster.

Honestly, I’m quite worried about how much discomfort I am experiencing. It feels like I have a huge bubble of air in the center of my chest. It hurts to burp. My stomach is growling non-stop, but my digestive system won’t release any of the excess gases. I put a call into my Bariatric nurse, and I should be hearing back from her soon.

As far as scars go, I have six very small incisions across my abdomen. They will probably leave small scars, but nothing horrible!

After my follow-up, I will be on a full liquid diet for a couple weeks. This means I can have Cream of Wheat, applesauce, creamy soups, and milk! That sounds like heaven right now.

I’m also hanging on to my weight still. I know the number HAS to go down with how little I am eating, but I really wish it would happen soon!


Entry filed under: Gastric Bypass, Laparoscopy, Roux en Y, surgery, Weight Loss. Tags: , .

Surgery? Check! Cheese. Yum.

4 Comments Add your own

  • 1. seelieness  |  January 5, 2010 at 6:04 am

    You seem to be doing really well. I am sure this long term liquid diet they have you on HAS to have a huge impact on your weight loss journey. It will be very interesting to see how you adapt from liquid to solids…but all in good time. I hope this procedure assists you in meeting all your health goals this year. 😀

    • 2. trnslationlost  |  January 8, 2010 at 3:31 pm

      Thank you so much! You truly have been an inspiration for me! I will continue to post when I gather enough interesting bits about the process.

  • 3. aylilth  |  January 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm

    Very interesting as I was recomened to get this done, but I’m trying tooth and nail to get by with out it.

    Good luck with everything will be reading.

    • 4. trnslationlost  |  January 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm

      All the power to you for doing it without!

      Good luck to you on your wonderful journey, as well!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Twitter Updates

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

%d bloggers like this: